IP Multicast for Streaming RTP Media
This 2 day hands on workshop covers transport of RTP streams using IP Multicast Protocols.
It’s becoming commonplace to carry audio and video streams across large IP networks within a broadcast or media facility. Where these AV streams are intended for many destinations simultaneously use of multicast signaling protocols is essential if network resources are to be used efficiently. This practical two day workshop covers the theory and practice of implementing these protocols within IP and Ethernet networks.
The hands-on element of the course will use Cisco switches and the multicast streamers and receivers will use the cross -platform VLC application. Wireshark will be used to analyse the multicast signaling (IGMP and SAP) and the multicast media delivery (RTP).
It is not necessary to have expertise in the Cisco command line as the configuration of the devices are instructor-led as required and the aim is to build knowledge and experience that is vendor agnostic. This workshop is about putting what you know into practice, so has at least 50% practical content.
Delegates should have an excellent understanding of basics of networks including Ethernet, forwarding of Ethernet Frames, IP and IP forwarding, resilience and failover in L2/L3 networks and some exposure to design & operation of enterprise-scale networks. The should have attended the IABM Network Essentials and Advanced Networks for Broadcast Engineers courses or have equivalent experience of network configuration and management backed up by similar training and certification.
This course is run on demand
- Assignment and use of Class D Multicast IP address space
- Mapping multicast MAC addresses (L2) to multicast IP addresses (L3).An overview of Real time Transport Protocol (RTP)
- Comparison between the 3 versions of the Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) and their use in requesting RTP streams within VLANs
- IGMP snooping on a L2 network
- The use of multicast routing using Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) on an inter-VLAN and/or L3 routed network, including reverse path forwarding
- The difference between PIM operated in Dense Mode PIM-DM and in Sparse Mode (SM)
- Important timers used in IGMP and PIM protocols
- Gateway resilience using Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) and mapping resilient multicast forwarding at L3 and L2 using the Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP)
- Important timers and parameters in VRRP and RSTP
- Operation and use of the multicast routing table to forward IP packets using a multicast destination IP address
- Differences between Any Source Multicast (ASM) and Source Specific Multicast (SSM)
- An overview of the Session Announcement Protocol (SAP) and it’s use in describing and announcing RTP multicast streams that can be requested using IGMP
- Lab 1. Multicast Forwarding at L2 and IGMP Snooping
- Lab 2. Multicast Forwarding at L3 across VLANs using IGMP and PIM
- Lab 3. Announcement of multicast streams in L2/L3 networks using SAP and the mini-SAP Server
- Lab 4. Load balancing and failover of multicast streams carried in separate VLANs across a resilient Layer 2 network consisting of leaf (access) switches and 2 redundant spine (core) switches
- Lab 5. Multicast forwarding across VLAN boundaries in resilient Layer 3 networks consisting of leaf (access) switches and 2 redundant spine (core) switches
- Lab 6. Multicast forwarding over a routed L3 network using PIM-SM
Based on your recent activity and preferences we recommend the following pieces of content
Moote, CTO, IABM Stan reviews the key technologies within the Media an...
IABM3 days ago
Ian Sharpe, CEO, Promethean.tv Broadcast Asia has always been about ge...
IABM6 days ago
Herve Creff, Business Development Director, Broadpeak This presentatio...
IABM6 days ago
A session hosted by EBU and CenturyLink about ‘19/’20s online medi...
IABM17 days ago
s article has been taken from IABM Digest from March 2019. The full di...
IABM56 days ago
mon Browne (VP Product Management, Clear-Com) discusses some of the re...
IABM58 days ago
s report is best viewed using the interactive version below where you ...
IABM62 days ago
John O’Halloran (CTO) talks to IABM TV about what Mediaproxy do ...
IABM71 days ago